There is a nice story that makes the rounds today for a woman who drank a hand disinfectant, you know the things you rub in your hands as a disinfectant.
People who know how to find spirits in strange places obviously know that the hand disinfectant is mostly alcohol … and I probably do not care that it is very dangerous to drink.
Maryland's 49-year-old prisoner appeared to be seriously ill after drinking a gallon-disinfectant pot. Describing them as guilty, "red eyes" and "fighters", the officials hit him in a nearby Baltimore hospital for treatment.
But they quickly discovered that he was not sick – very, very drunk on Purell.
The October incident, detailed Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine as one of the first documented cases of this kind.
He has raised questions about the possible abuse of alcoholic hand disinfectants by adolescents and other risk groups.
"The extensive use of skin disinfectant is very risky," said Suzanne Doyon, medical director of the Maryland Poison Center, who co-authored a letter to the magazine about the case. "
In terms of infection control, they are excellent, but there is this risk. "
Purell, which is 70% alcohol, is much more powerful than conventional beverages such as beer (5 percent), wine (10 percent) or hard drink (40 percent)
Since the October incident, the Maryland Poison Center has received reports from five or six other adults in the state who consumed a hand disinfectant because they "were looking for a buzz," Doyon said.
A representative of Johnson & Johnson, the manufacturer of Purell, said, when used according to instructions, Purell is "safe and effective".