This portion of portion control tips has been around for a long time and I hope it helps me as much as it helps you.
Damn, tonight we're over … again.
Once every two weeks my family and I go out to dinner. We found that we go out very often, so we decided to go out only once every two weeks to eat better (the restaurant and fast food tend to be bad) and save money. One side effect is that we have complete control over what we eat.
We went out for Vietnamese food and, as always, ordered some plates to share. I would definitely like to have written these part control tips before we go out. I did it myself and ate twice what I needed to do.
I tend to graze all day and my big meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner are pretty small but when I get to the buffet or have the opportunity to share food I don't share very well.
My portion control without fixed portions is tough. I never really separate like my wife, no cups or anything, but without a plate to measure myself from tend to be awesome.
Here are 5 portion control tips
1. Drink 1 large cup of water 30 minutes before a meal – Water will fill your stomach a little and you will start thinking about the size of your stomach.
2. Eat all food at once – The problem with how I ate today or any buffet-style meal is that you don't know how much you eat. 1 plate for 1 meal will make you know what you are eating without distracting you.
3. Eat slowly and focus on all forks or spoons of food. – We need to enjoy our meals, but I know that when I watch my kids or even myself, we get caught not enjoying but competing with food. Food should not be pushed but enjoyed. Take your time, enjoy it with you and your family.
4. Eat only until you are satisfied – Know when to stop. Having the water before and eating slowly will help you understand how much food you need and stop in time. There is no reason to eat too much.
5. Remember this is not your last meal – Enough has been said. You can eat again in a few hours.
I hope these portion control tips will help you. None of this is very inspirational or earth shattering, but as 5 tips go great to help you eat better, enjoy your meal and never have an excuse to over-eat.